What types of problems do X-rays help detect?
X-rays help your dentist diagnose problems in your teeth and jaws.
In adults, X-rays show:
- Decay, especially small areas of decay between teeth.
- Decay beneath existing fillings.
- Bone loss in the jaw.
- Changes in the bone or root canal due to infection.
- Condition and position of teeth to help prepare for tooth implants, braces, dentures or other dental procedures.
- Abscesses (an infection at the root of a tooth or between the gum and a tooth).
- Cysts and some types of tumours.
In children, X-rays determine:
- If decay is developing.
- If there is enough space in the mouth to fit all incoming teeth.
- If wisdom teeth are developing.
- If teeth are impacted (unable to emerge through the gums).